Knowing the symptoms and how to treat centipede bites

Centipede or centipede bites can cause pain and allergic reactions. Although generally centipede bites are not dangerous, it is still important for us to know how to treat centipede bites as a form of anticipation against these animal attacks.

Centipedes are carnivorous animals that can sting and release poison from their mouths to paralyze their prey. This animal has 15 pairs of legs and body sizes that vary, which is about 2.5–40 cm. Centipedes generally thrive in dark, humid places, such as in potted plants.


how to treat centipede bites

Knowing the symptoms and how to treat centipede bites

Centipedes are not animals that like to attack humans, but they can bite and inject their venom when they feel irritated or threatened. For humans, a centipede bite can be very painful. The bigger the size of the centipede, the more painful the bite will usually be.

Symptoms of Centipede Bites

Centipede toxins contain a variety of chemicals, including histamine which can cause allergic reactions and metalloproteases which can damage skin tissue. If a person is exposed to the poison, he will experience symptoms in the form of pain, redness, and swelling in the part of the body that was bitten.

The symptoms that appear can last from several hours to several days. Sometimes, a person can also experience numbness or swelling of the lymph nodes as a result of being bitten by a centipede. However, these reactions are classified as rare.

In addition, in certain cases, centipede bites can also cause severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis. The following are some of the signs and symptoms of a centipede poison allergy that are important to know:

  • Itchy
  • Fever
  • Nausea
  • Swelling around the part of the body that was bitten
  • The heart beats faster than usual (heart palpation)
  • Hard to breath
  • Swollen lymph nodes and throat
  • Swollen throat

You need to get medical help from a doctor immediately if you experience the symptoms above after being bitten by a centipede.


How to Treat Centipede Bites

Centipede bites are usually harmless and rarely cause health complications in humans. If you are bitten by a centipede, you can do your own home remedies to relieve symptoms, namely:

  • Clean the bite area with running water and mild chemical soap to reduce the risk of infection
  • Immerse the bite area in warm water as quickly as possible to remove the centipede venom
  • Apply a cold compress with ice wrapped in a cloth to the bite area for 10 minutes to reduce swelling and pain
  • Take antihistamines and painkillers to reduce pain, itching, and swelling

If the steps above are not effective in treating the symptoms that appear or the symptoms get worse within 48 hours, immediately consult a doctor for proper examination and treatment. Likewise, if you experience an allergic reaction after being bitten by a centipede.

To treat severe reactions due to centipede bites, your doctor can prescribe corticosteroid drugs to relieve inflammation, antihistamines to treat allergic reactions, and antibiotics if the bite wound is infected with bacteria.

Although centipede venom rarely causes complications, it is important to know how to treat centipede bites so that you know what to do if you have one.

Do not hesitate to go to the doctor immediately if you experience dizziness, itching, rash, and swelling of the lips, throat, mouth, or tongue after being bitten by a centipede. This reaction could be a symptom of a severe allergic reaction that needs to be treated as soon as possible.

Post a Comment for "Knowing the symptoms and how to treat centipede bites"